Italy!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Life at Sea

Ahhhh Venezia. Mi amore! I love this city! I really do. I could easily live here. I absolutely love all the people and the water and the city and everything about it. Today was awesome. After finally getting everyone out this morning we headed toward the north side of the island to catch a vaporetto. Unbeknownst to us though today was a big boat race in Venice! There were a whole bunch of boats all over everywhere racing! All sorts of different types of rowing boats. It was very interesting. We did manage to catch a vaporetto to Murano, the glass blowing island, and it was really neat. Unfortunately because it was Sunday the fornaci were closed but it was still really fun to see all the different types of glass. After that we had a little mix up and only two of us made it on the vaporetto to Burano but it worked out. Burano is about a 40 minute boat ride in the lagoon and it was great. I loved it. Sadly we chose a really cold weekend though and I forgot my jacket! I was freezing! But loving every minute of the wind blowing against me and the waves crashing against the boat. It was great. Being able to look out and enjoy the awesome views of Venezia was amazing too. Words are really not enough. Burano is the lace island. Jake and I (the person who made the vaporetto with me/friend) didn't spend too much time there. We walked pass a few shops, grabbed a panini/wrap and used a WC then jumped on the vaporetto to Turcello. This little island of pop 20 is where the very first settlers of Venice first went prior to settling Venice. It was really interesting. There were some ruins on the island that Jake and I spent some time examining trying to figure out their origin as they weren't labeled or anything. He's a very smart guy and knows his ancient history. It was fun! Kind of like detective work. It was also very interesting to get an idea of what the island where Venice is looked like prior to being settled as this little island is untouched for the most part. It was a beautiful island. I could have stayed there forever it was so great. From there we got on a vaporetto heading back to San Marco via Lido, a resort that rests on the barrier of the lagoon and the Adriatic Sea. I really enjoyed the trip. It took most of the day but it was great. The only other place I had wanted to go was closed today anyway so it worked out great! We met up with the others once we got back to San Marco and we all headed out to try and see if we could make it into Doge's Palace but we missed buying a ticket by 5 minutes! We ended up wandering all over Venice for a good two hours instead and managed to find a super market where we bought a few extra fresh foods to make dinner with. After taking a vaporetto back to our apartment I made a lovely pasta dinner and we all really had a good time talking and relaxing and laughing about things from the day. It's been a great day! I think there are lots of things to see in Venezia, but I feel like we have really experienced it today, not just seen it. Hopefully tomorrow morning we will be able to see San Marco's Basillica as that's something I really really want to see. Especially Alexander's horses. I'm crossing my fingers! I better get to bed though because I'm getting up early tomorrow again! Buonanotte!

No comments:

Post a Comment