Italy!

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ho Caldo!

It is hot!!!! Wow. It's 11 at night and I'm laying here in bed sweating like crazy! Today was a lot of fun though, just really really hot. I slept in for once (yay!) and then met up with 2 friends at piazza grumsci to catch a bus to Firenze. We ended up barely missing the bus lol and had to wait an hour for the next one. It was alright though. We went to il super mercado and got some food and were on the road at 1140. We arrived in the bustling city of Florence around 130. What a city! I continue to be amazed by the history of cities. I have to say though that the history of Firenze is by far the most fascinating (next to Rome). I never realized how historically significant it was. Donatello, Brunelleschi, Michelangelo, da Vinci, Dante, the Medicis! So many amazing people all got their starts and made their fame in this place! And it shows. The works there are amazing. Today we did not do much, we took a city bus to the piazzale Michelangelo and got a nice view of the city and then walked our way down to the river and crossed on the ponte vecchio (a big bridge with shops lining it. Picture the London bridge). From there we went to the uffizi and walked around outside and looked at the courtyard where all the Medici statues used to reside. Now there are replicas there and the originals are inside the uffizi (a very important art museum containing the personal Medici family art collection). I was absolutely amazed by the sculptures. I can't wait to see the originals! Wow is all I can say. The detail blows me away. After there we went to il duomo and went inside. Most things were closed today so we mostly viewed simple outside stuff. The dome of the duomo is the amazing part. I can't wait to be able to go up to that. It's an architectural wonder of the world. After that we found a famous gelateria and WOW. Watch out Sub Zero. I've never had such amazing gelato. Supposedly gelato got it's start in Florence and it's supposed to be really good there. It was! I'm really excited to go back to Florence again. I'll probably go 3 or 4 times. It's a short cheap trip and there is so much to see!

Week 2 of classes start tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I too would love the sculptures. I always have ben fascinated with them. I think that artists are such interesting people and have a whole different look at life. "just look at Emily"! I also think that it is interesting that things were closed on Sunday there. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete